Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Spirulina

Thanks to Susan, a friend at work, I recently tried Spirulina.  She gave me a little packet of it and I spent a couple weeks trying to figure out what to do with it.  I finally decided to see what Google had to say.  I found a recipe on the Raw Glow Blog for Spirulina salad dressing.  It was surprisingly good.




I have to be honest, the smell of the Spirulina alone is a little
rough, but after you mix up the dressing and use it sparingly on a salad, it's really good.  I do enjoy seaweed salad and anything out of the ocean so maybe that's another reason it appeals to me?  The flavor reminds me faintly of Parmesan cheese (call me crazy).  I made a nice big salad with Organic Girl SuperGreens, shredded carrots, sliced mushrooms, red pepper and cucumber, my favorite olives and lightly drizzled the dressing on top.

I encourage you to try it and see what you think.  Buy it in the bulk spice section at Whole Foods, that way you can buy a tablespoon and experiment without making a $30 investment.

It is, after all, considered a Superfood.  A tablespoon of Spirulina has 4 grams of protein.  It is also said to have the potential to reduce the LDL to HDL cholesterol ratio and is said to have antioxidant effects. Read up and decide for yourself!  http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-spirulina.html

Spirulina Dressing


2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Spirulina powder
Juice and zest of ½ lemon (I used a Meyer lemon)
Sprinkle of garlic powder and cayenne pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together and pour over your favorite salad.

Let me know what you think - you might be surprised too!

No comments:

Post a Comment