Lisa, one of my gym buddies introduced me to this amazing recipe. I fell in love immediately - brought some home to my husband and he loved it too! It is seriously amazing, I've made it at least 5 times in the last month.
I modified it slightly by omitting the cheese (dairy) - which we don't even miss!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (I like the tri-colored quinoa from the Whole Foods Bulk Section)
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Juice of one lemon (preferably a Meyer lemon)
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed into the quinoa. Drain, if needed. Fluff with a form and cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the oil and vinegar to the quinoa and let it come to room temperature. Add the onion, tomatoes, pepper, olives, cilantro, salt and pepper. Stir gently.
- Chill for 2 hours to let flavors combine. Squeeze lemon juice over salad right before serving to brighten flavors.
This salad is an awesome side for any meal (Vegan or not), goes wonderfully atop salad greens or topped with grilled fish.
This quinoa salad made a delicious addition to my boring mixed green lunch salad !
Thank you to the awesome Cooking Quinoa website for this outstanding recipe.