- 1 - 8 oz. package of Smiling Hara Black-eyed pea tempeh (available at Whole Foods in the Freezer Section), thawed and cut into small blocks
- Safflower Oil (or your preferred high heat oil) - just enough to coat the bottom of your pan
- 1 vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 cups shredded cabbage and carrots (I used the pre-packaged cole slaw mix from Whole Foods)
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped (if you prefer a spicy dish)
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, chopped or julienned
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon of Italian Seasoning (or a combination of oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil and sage)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice (or any rice you prefer)
Directions (see pictures below):
- Coat the bottom of your frying pan with safflower oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add the tempeh to the oil, turning it often to get all sides brown and a little crispy.
- Once tempeh is light brown on all sides, remove from pan and set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat 1 tablespoon of safflower oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger and onions stir constantly for a minute or two. If you choose to use jalapeno, add it now. Then add the cabbage to the garlic/ginger/onion mixture. Toss often with tongs - once the cabbage begins to wilt, add your cooked tempeh. Sprinkle with the Italian spices and S&P to taste and allow to cook for a few more minutes until cabbage reaches desired doneness. I like my cabbage with a little crisp.
- Sprinkle with the sliced almonds and serve over rice.
Tempeh is a great Vegan source of protein but it's also AWESOME for your tummy - it's full of probiotics and antioxidants. Read more about tempeh here.