Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Mom's Plant-Based Pumpkin Bread

It's been awfully quiet on the Plant Based Happiness Blog this month.  I've been consumed with Christmas prep - the shopping, the wrapping, the decorating, the baking, gathering of friends and loved ones, etc.  Here's a recipe that I've been experimenting with and I believe I've finally perfected it.



Mom's Pumpkin Bread

(Slightly modified from my Mom's non-plant-based version)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Coat 3 medium loaf pans with vegetable shortening and dust with flour. (I used Spectrum Vegetable Shortening)

Mix together:
3 1/3 cups flour
3 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt

Combine dry ingredients well.  Make a well in the mix and add:

2 cups pumpkin pie mix (I used 1-15 oz. can of 365 brand Organic Pumpkin Pie Mix)
1 cup unsweetened plain applesauce
1 cup oil (I used safflower oil)
2/3 cup water

Mix well, until smooth.  Add 1.5 tsp of vanilla.  Divide the batter evenly among the pans and bake for 45 minutes to an hour.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment